VNMU began as Vinnitsa Pharmaceutical Institute (1921-1936), and later became Vinnitsa branch of All-Ukrainian Institute of Extra-Mural Medical Education (1930), and reorganized in 1932 as Evening Industrial Medical Institute with two faculties – medical-preventive and pediatric and in 1934 as Vinnitsa Medical Institute (1934).
In 1994 the faculty of Dentistry was organized, and Vinnitsa Medical Institute was accredited as a University on Level IV, the highest level of accreditation by Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine 408, dated 15.06.94. The Institute was re-named to Vinnitsa State Pirogov Memorial Medical University. By 2000, the faculty of Pharmacy was organized.
By 2002, taking into account nation-wide and international recognition of results of its activity VSMU was awarded National University status by Decree of the President of Ukraine L.D. Kuchma (June 19, 2002, #560/2002), supporting specialties”General Medicine“, “Pediatrics”, “Dentistry”, “Pharmacy”, “Clinical Pharmacy”, “Medical Psychology.”
At present, there are more than 9000 students from all over the world including the USA, Western Europe, Australia, Africa, India and other parts of Asia study here. University offers a wide infrastructure containing 48 departments.
The University is listed in the WHO Directory of Medical Schools and in the US FAIMER International Medical Education Directory (IMED).